Saturday, November 23, 2013

Religious conviction

I've been having a building epiphany, and it's not like God spake on the mountain (quite), but it's growing more and more solid into a Truth:

I should fry this year's Thanksgiving turkey.

Are you with me? Chanukah starts Wednesday night and Thanksgiving is Thursday and Chanukah is all about freedom from religious persecution and the miracle of the oil and Thanksgiving is all about freedom from religious persecution and eating a turkey that could be fried in oil. Traditional Chanukah foods are potato pancakes (because you fry them in oil) and donuts (because they're fried in oil) and it would be practically sacrilegious to bake this year's turkey, wouldn't it?

You've heard all about how Chanukah and Thanksgiving won't overlap again for another 79,000 years and doesn't it become my duty, nay, my destiny, to honor their synchronicity with a doubly-symbolic meal? Thanksgiving is to commemorate a meal and anything Jewish is commemorated with food and it just seems like it must be done: I should buy a countertop turkey fryer

Now, the lovely husband's pragmatism is at least 85% of the basis for how I function as an adult, but this weekend it's causing my Truth some trouble. He asks silly questions like "why would we spend $99 on that?" and "how often do we eat turkey?"

He doesn't ask "how often does Chanukah's fried food tradition intersect with that American paragon of gratitude and overeating?" He doesn't ask because he knows the answer is, for us, NEVER AGAIN. 

(Sad face.)

Shouldn't he ask "why WOULDN'T we fry our turkey? It's a once-in-a-lifetime celebration!"

I'm still waiting for that question, and when it does inevitably (before Monday night's amazon shipping deadline) occur to him, I'll be there with affirmations (and a five-pound bag of russet potatoes).


Pin It