Monday, June 6, 2011

If the house is a rockin', don't come a -- wait, that's not it.

It's the other one -- the one about opportunity, and opening the door, and whatnot.

(Does anyone really say 'whatnot' anymore? I think I just decided I hate that word.)

Whatever, I'm procrastinating.

So, the thing is that I really love a black-and-white world. I don't love muddled lines or ambiguity or mixed-use space. I like this to be this and that to be that and you have no idea what I'm talking about, do you?

I'm talking about my narrative.

My precious, sparkly narrative.

I don't want to dilute my narrative. My poem.

But as I was saying to you the other day, my poem, this here narrative, has brought more and more opportunity that a word-keeping blinky cursor alone. Like: see that name badge there? I went to a really, really great luncheon a few weeks ago that was put together by Stonyfield Farms. It was delicious and educational and enlightening and Stonyfield fed us an all-organic lunch in an all-organic restaurant and organized a speaker and do you know how I got to be in that crowd?

It's because of this blinky cursor. Because I'm a blogger. And I'd love to tell you all about the lunch and I haven't done so yet, because it doesn't fit with my precious narrative.

Well.

A long time ago I had a very close friend and sometime during or after college we lost touch and through the magic of the internets, there she is again, my friend, and it turns out she's a blogging guru in the crafting community.

I love her tag line: Nothing is too precious to try at least once.

I get these offers all the time now, see, asking me to attend an event or review a product or write about this opportunity. Many, many of them do not interest me at all (gaming codes for teen video games, window locks for a brand of window my house doesn't even have, the online sex toy shop that's contacted me twice that I won't be writing about even though I came this.close to saying yes just to make my brother giggle). But some genuinely do: case in point, that Stonyfield luncheon. Or isn't it strange that E has been obsessed with poodle skirts and I get an invitation to review any one dress-up outfit I want from an online costume retailer. And sitting in my hot little hands inbox right now is a code I'll be redeeming for an over-the-telephone psychic reading.

I'm 99% sure I don't believe in psychics, but you can bet I'm going to make that phone call.

So imagine my toes scuffing the floor, my eyes shyly downcast: I've started a review blog. It's over here, at Not Ever Complacent, and I'd love for you to read it and subscribe, of course, and I completely understand if it doesn't appeal to you, but I hope you'll look at least once anyway. It looks like sometimes I'll have giveaways and discount codes. I'll always have stories. This is, after all, still just me, writing about our life.

I don't know how frequently I'll post there, or for how long, or what my vision for that blog is. I just know that opportunities keep presenting themselves, and I want to live by the notion that nothing is too precious to try. So I'm trying. Join me?

Now I have questions for you: what do you think about this? Do you have any advice or concerns?

And most importantly, what should I ask the psychic?


_________________________
Flattr this Pin It