Friday, July 30, 2010

Bye bye, birdie

The boy had a wee accident on Sunday. He wasn't happy in his bouncy chair and arched his back in protest. He arched his back in so much protest that he flung himself to the floor, where he face-planted dramatically in protest. And because we are responsible parents, he had been strapped securely in that bouncy chair. It flipped with him, pinning him to the floor.

There it is again: 4.5 straight years of parenting babies, and that's something that never happened before. This boy, he is, as they say, strong like bull. And determined to chart his very own course.

Even if that course drives him right into the floor coverings.

So we gave away a bouncy seat this week. We also gave away the baby bathtub. He arches himself out of that, too. And the bathroom's marble countertop that I used to set it on isn't more forgiving than carpeting.

We've reached a turning point, and not just in the sumo-in-training ninja flip skills of my littlest one. (Though, you know I have a thing for sumo, right?)

Since late 2005 we've been acquiring baby things. As each child in turn aged out of them, another kid fell into place. We simultaneously acquired bigger kid things, but we never got rid of any baby equipment, though, because there was always another kid getting in line to use them. For the first time, we're now getting rid of baby things.

I've also made arrangements to give away our infant carrier carseat next week. (Let's not even discuss that the girls fit into it until about nine months, and we're moving G out before six months.) I could go to the trouble of selling these items that still have some good life left in them, but we're putting them in the hands of women who can use them and it feels so freeing. We're unburdening from the big baby plastics that have served us well, but are no longer necessary tools for our family.

He's almost six months old.

Time flies. Bye bye, birdie. Pin It

7 comments:

Megan@SortaCrunchy said...

awwwwwww! so bittersweet.

I dropped AJ out of her carseat when she was two months old. And she wasn't strapped in. I hate those things! So YAY to moving up to the convertible seat!

How are you feeling about the baby plastics leaving?

Shan said...

It really is bringing alot of joy in it's new home though. G rests in the big daddy version and it almost hits the floor. Such sweet sorrow though...

a li'l bit squishy said...

I had three babies in three and a half years as you know. AND I also found it freeing to get rid of all the baby stuff as our third outgrew things (THOUGH MUCH SLOWER THAN G!!) Of course then I got pregnant with our fourth baby. Not sayin' it'll happen to you but if it does, I reserve the right to laugh out loud.

Jill said...

I love that free feeling. I loved having babies and I loved the moment of knowing it was time to get rid of the baby stuff. Every day with them is such a joy that I couldn't want them to stay little. And I, like you, passed things on to people who would use them and that felt so good...sharing with others who were in that baby stage. And it does sound like he's ready to move ahead! :)

JAS said...

I wish you had video of this while it unfolded. It actually sounds a little comical.

thepunkrockmom said...

Your son sounds just like my oldest, who happens to be a 'G' as well! :) Strong like bull is definitely how I would describe him. And we are also giving away a lot of their baby stuff at the moment! We want more, but seeing as how we moved from a 1,200 ft home to an 800 ft home, well we just don't have the room! LOL!

Just found your blog on Bloggy Moms and I wanted to stop by and follow you! Hope you can stop by mine sometime and tell me what you think! Happy blogging!
<3MaryAnne

thepunkrockmom said...

I sent you an award!
See it here:
http://thepunkrockmom.blogspot.com/2010/08/i-have-been-bestowed-great-honor.html

And here is a link to the image:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_-lNrAOEEAQA/TFiqj-miSrI/AAAAAAAAAE4/_PFffNmgSuU/s400/versatile-bloggeraward1-150x150.jpeg

You deserve it! Now it's your turn to give it to some awesome bloggers you love!
<3MaryAnne aka thepunkrockmom